Friday, November 5, 2010

Mothering With Intention


Something I have been struggling with lately is getting frustrated with the day to day of life. Any of you who are mother's to young children know exactly what I mean. Life is such a daily thing these days! We have routines and try to add in fun outings and activities but still so much of it I struggle to not become mundane in. I have felt beat down some in the last couple months, being sick due to pregnancy, struggling with training a toddler and trying to keep my marriage a priority in the midst has gotten me discouraged. I write this not so you will feel sorry or sympathize with me but because I know I am not the only one struggling in this area. I'm hoping that the journey God has be on can in some way be an encouragement to someone else. Today I read James 1, I needed to give myself a time out of sorts and re-focus on what mattered. Ava and I were having a small snack of some fresh veggies in dip and just like everything she eats it was getting all over her all over me and she was way more interested in the dipping part then eating any of the vegetables. At moments like that I struggle, struggle to not get frustrated that she is making a mess all over her clean outfit for the day and on me, struggle with why everything has to be so complicated and I end up just annoyed that I am getting upset about it and she ends up frustrated cause I won't let her enjoy it. Back to James 1 and my time out, I went and grabbed my bible which I am embarrassed to say I run to more when I need perspective then to help me maintain that perspective. I have always loved the book of James, it just seems so real and something we could all relate to.

"Count it all joy...knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience, and let patience have it's perfect work that you may be perfect and complete lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:1-5

Who doesn't want to be perfect and complete lacking nothing? Why do I hesitate to ask God for the wisdom that he freely gives when we ask? My pride maybe of not having all the answers. I resort to using my own wisdom and strength so often which ALWAYS fails me. I have a God who has all the answers and is more then willing to let me in on the secrets of life and I choose to try my own ways first.

I don't want to mother my children in survival mode and we have made parenting choices to reflect that. I have chosen to stay home with our children and not work full time out of the home, we have chosen our discipline style so that our children know it won't end up...."do that one more time and Momma is gonna loose it"...kind of way. I want to give my children the best version of this Momma there is and I know that is not going to happen by my own efforts. Aside from the grace and patience God offers I fail miserably at this Momma business. I want to spend more time loving and praising my children and less time complaining about them. I want it to be evident to my friends and family that there is nothing in the world I would rather do then raise my children to walk in the way's of God. I want to enforce and discipline not because I enjoy or like it one bit but because I know it is what scripture instructs and I KNOW it is what my children need. I want to spend more time in God's word prepping my spirit for the task at hand.

Let's mother with intention today, let's make a point to spend more time loving and less time focusing on the details of life that get us down. We have been given one of the greatest privileges EVER! We get the opportunity to help shape and mold a life.

9 comments:

  1. Loved it and of course, can relate. I especially like this: I don't want to mother my children in survival mode...Thanks for the good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really met me where I was today. As a woman of God, wife and liver of life. . . the struggle to put down my pursuit of perfection and take up rest in peace, patience, love and grace instead is so real. And so difficult. Thank you for being open and vulnerable, and for calling out the tangled mess in all of us. Knowing that we don't fight it alone somehow makes it a little better.

    P.S. Be encouraged! My husband (who didn't want kids for *at least* 7 years) told me last night, "If I knew that we would be parents like Hannah and Bear, I would want kids right away! They just make parenting look good. . ."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this :]
    While training Lily and being in nearly the exact same boat you're in, I find it impossible to find where my heart is really at sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rachel! That made me get all teary, I am so glad this was encouraging in some way. I was really writing to myself!

    Mae - I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Hannah. And so timely. I have been pondering a similar subject all week and just got off the phone with a friend after talking about almost the same thing. I'm recently so convicted about doing it in my wisdom and I know, with my entire being, that there is no better way to fail. Thanks for sharing a great Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really great, Hannah. I think that your struggles are common to mommies that are trying to mother well... It is so good that you know where to turn to draw your strength and inspiration. He is the only one that can meet that need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! Thanks for being transparent so that we each can see we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with you! Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through these same struggles! We're all learning together =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hannah, I just stumbled across your blog tonight. Thanks for sharing, it is always comforting to know you aren't the only one in the world having the same struggles! I have a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. Sometimes (ok, MOST times) i find myself just standing there asking myself, 'how did I end up here!'. Raising kids is a much, much harder, more giving, forgiving, task than I ever thought! :)

    ReplyDelete